Di/Di Identical twins born with TTTS

mrspikey

Hello, just wanted to share this for other parents who are/will be in the same situation.

Just to be clear, although it is very rare (0.05% chance), it is possible for Di/Di twins to get TTTS, as the placentas that are in close proximity may fuse together, leading to TTTS in some cases. You can find some research papers on this on the net.

This happened to us 18 years ago! My wife had a normal pregnancy until 29 weeks, when she started having contractions; we ended up in the maternity ward three times over three weeks, but the contractions stopped every time, and home we went. The doctor put her on complete rest and asked her to make it at least to 34 weeks so that the lung development could be completed!

An ultrasound at 34 weeks showed both of our girls at approx. the same weight with no complications; the target had been achieved! The next ultrasound at 36 weeks showed one twin 1 pound larger than the other one and with more amniotic fluid. The doctor re-did the ultrasound and decided to induce my wife the next day, saying she did not like the weight difference (no mention of TTTS at this point)!

The girls were born 10 minutes apart (no C-section) weighing in at 5 and 6 pounds respectively; one was anemic with very low red blood cell count (requiring a transfusion); the other was red as a beet! The doctor showed us the placentas, which had clearly fused with a few blood vessels going across.

The twins spent 16 days in NICU, with one having sleep apnea and both needing antibiotics (infection was never confirmed). A DNA test has confirmed they are identical. They have just turned 18 and are now young adults doing great in life! Interesting note: the larger twin has always been slightly taller that her sister!

I thought I would share our story, as many doctors will tell you that the risk of TTTS for Di/Di twins is nil; I would caution you to have regular ultrasounds if you are in this situation, as the risks are not nil, but very, very small! Better to be safe. ;o)

@mrspikey Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Do they look identical? You said you did a DNA test, I assume bc maybe they didn't look that identical

@nxcess They looked the same, except for the weight difference. Now they look exactly alike. They both have jobs at the local supermarket and no one can tell apart! ;o)

We did the DNA test to confirm they were ID, because we get asked every day!