Cribs for short mamas

@allied_spice I agree with this! I would skip the bassinet and just use the bassinet attachment in a pack n play as well. The regular graco ones are great, I found the baby bjorn one that sits straight on the floor too low.

@computergal The side of the convertible crib doesn’t come off easily - it’s not something you can take on/off every time you put them in. A stool can help but I don’t have much trouble and I’m 5’2”. If you still need to do a super soft transfer I can see that being tricky but that’s going to be true regardless of the crib and your height with a bigger kid imo.

@computergal Convertible cribs are great because you can use them longer than non-convertible cribs, but you don't take the side off every day to get the baby out. You take the side off once when you want the baby to be able to get out on their own.

Cribs all have to be about the same height (as measured from the mattress to the top of the sides) for safety reasons, so you're not really going to find one that's shorter than others.

You may want to make sure that whichever crib you choose has 3 or 4 mattress height settings (some only have 2), so your baby can be slightly closer to the top for the first several months.

Some Babyletto cribs (definitely the Gelato models) have removable legs, so theoretically, you could take them off, which would make the whole thing shorter.

@computergal I’m also less than 5’1 and the Namesake Winston has been fine for me. My hip bones dig in a little now when bending over it now that it’s at the lowest setting but I can still transfer baby without waking him up.

Back