Could use some tips and input from other working moms

cm1989

I am a working mom and my husband is a stay at home dad. We have a 2 year old, and a 3 month old. I go back to work in one month, so we’re starting to plan for the logistics of what that will look like.

We live in a two bedroom apartment; one bedroom is my daughter’s, and the second is ours. We have a sidecar crib for the baby, but he has coslept with us next to me in the big bed since day 1. Toddler sleeps in her own bed in her own room.

When I go back to work, I’m a little worried about my alarm waking him up. Im also worried that he won’t stay asleep with just dad there. Is it safe for just dad to sleep with him? It’s my understanding from the safe sleep 7 that it should be mom sleeping with baby, since I’m the breastfeeding one, but my husband does well near the baby too. He kind of keeps to his own side of the (super king) bed while I flip sides throughout the night. I’ll wake up and leave the bed around 6 AM, whereas baby doesn’t usually wake up until 8.

Any other working moms have tips for a situation like this? I’d hate to give up cosleeping, and honestly I doubt I could as I’ll need all the sleep I can get. I get so much more sleep nursing him in bed. By the time I went back to work with my first, she was already in her own room. However that isn’t an option this time, as we cannot move and my daughter is a light sleeper so the kids sharing a room likely isn’t a good idea.

@cm1989 Check out the LLL book Sweet Sleep. IIRC, by 4mo, it is just as safe for baby to sleep with an alternative (non-nursing) sober caregiver. They go into a lot of detail.

@cm1989 Just my personal experience regarding your first concern - my son does not wake up from my alarm. I find that I sleep so lightly since giving birth and since cosleeping that I don't need a very loud alarm. But even if I happen to set it more loudly by accident, it still doesn't wake my son - hopefully it'll be the same for you!

Just to add some more context - my son is a very light sleeper and very restless during sleep. But the alarm doesn't really register with him for some reason.

Back