Carrier recommendation for travel? A few considerations

angiedm

I’m looking for a baby carrier for some upcoming travel. One of our trips is to Bali where it will be very hot and humid so temperature consideration is a must.

We currently have these carriers:
1) mamacozy wrap carrier sling: Momcozy Baby Wrap Carrier Slings, Easy to Wear Infant Carrier Slings for Babies Girl and Boy, Adjustable Baby Carriers for Newborn up to 50 lbs, Deep Grey https://a.co/d/czCCtmG

What I like about it:
- lightweight and packs up easily into a bag
- very easy to put on and adjustable.
- the fabric is soft and gentle.

What I don’t like:
- no back support - I don’t feel like I can babe wear for very long in it, I just get sore and worn out.
- I get HOT wearing it. Granted this is most things postpartum for me. There is a mesh version I’ve considered.

2) nuna CUDL https://nunababy.com/usa/cudl-baby-carrier?color_ref=16713

What I like:
- Great support
- easy to put on and take off

What I don’t like:
- it’s HUGE. I feel like a GI Joe wearing tactical gear when I have it on.
- the fabric is abrasive to both me and baby. When I’ve worn it for even short times and her whole body is not covered she has uncomfortable rashes. It’s more fine when she’s wearing a sleeper, but for travel to hot destinations this isn’t great.
- its also huge when you’re not wearing it. So if you take the baby out at a restaurant or something, you definitely don’t want to keep wearing the carrier, And it’s so obtrusive to even place on the back of your chair.

I’ve read so much about so many different carriers and it feels like my head is swimming in the details. Hoping someone here has similar needs to us, and can help us find the right one.

@angiedm Is your baby getting close to being able to hold a sitting position on their own? How far in the future is the travel? Back wearing can be cooler than front wearing, if you think you'll be ready for it by that time.

Whether you want to back wear or not, a meh dai might or half buckle might be an option to consider. You could get a lightweight and/or linen one. This type of carrier is great for both front and back wearing, supportive, and adapts to any body. If you're interested and think baby will be ready you could do a nice high back carry to give baby a great view of all the sights. The downside for travel is that they can be a little annoying to get on and off in public with long straps potentially dangling on the ground.

Whatever you do, don't get something stretchy, your baby is too big and it will be uncomfortable.

@angiedm Tula have a “lite” version which packs up into a bum bag. Search on here for reviews, I’ve only tried it on, I think others have said it’s only supportive for a short age/weight frame but 6 months might be perfect.

Do you plan on carrying a fair bit? Or just for back ups when baby is sick of pram? If for back ups, I’d suggest a ring sling as that’s only one layer of fabric over baby, but I don’t find them the most supportive for longer carrying. A woven wrap could be a good option, a rucksack back carry only has one layer over baby but is fairly supportive. There are also numerous ways you can wear a woven wrap, front and back, and it can then fold up more easily into your back (or be worn as a long scarf or used a aa blanket, but that’s not super useful in warm climates.).

@angiedm I have a Naked Panda full buckle and I love it. I used it to travel to Europe, wore baby in it in the airport, on the plane, sightseeing, just basically all day everywhere. Super comfortable.

I don’t live in a humid climate but in the US southwest with dry heat and the mer fabric feels fine in it. Also easy to clean, which was a plus for me when my daughter was still spitting up a lot.

The only downside for me was it takes some time to adjust all the straps and PFAs but I did one of their fit consults and that helped a ton. And once you figure out what setting is comfy for you, it’s a breeze to put on.

Back