Can’t feel IUD

hugosilva

I just got my copper IUD (Mona Lisa N) inserted like 3 days ago. The insertion was pretty weird and painful. It was a type of feeling/pain that I had never experienced before but was super super quick like about two minutes. I had cramping for the rest of the day that felt like period cramps and then I’ve been okay since. I know everyone mentions to make sure it’s in place and to feel the strings but I’ve tried a couple times in the last 3 days and can’t feel anything at all. I don’t know if my fingers aren’t long enough, but I can’t feel it. How will I know if it moves out of place?

If you have any experience with a copper IUD, I’d love to hear everyone’s stories with it any general stuff!

@hugosilva Not copper but I’m on Mirena right now and I can’t feel my strings at all. The strings usually should poke just out of the cervix, and their length depends a bit on how short your doctor cut them. My gyno cut mine very short (at my request) so I always had to try to feel around the inside of the cervix for them. However, I haven’t felt mine at all. I went in and the doctor couldn’t find the strings either. Basically, the strings can curl up INSIDE the cervix and you won’t be able to feel them at all. The uterus also may sit differently during your cycle which can make it harder. If I can feel my strings, it’s only after my period. An ultrasound confirmed mine was in place, but they told me if I notice pain/discomfort and bleeding to call and get it checked again so I’d say watch for those as well, but irregular bleeding can be a common side effect for a few months.

@prodigaldisciple My only concern with this is that I have to wait for a month to get it checked via ultrasound, so how will I know before then and if it’s okay to have sex with it. Just concerned to know how I will know it moved after I’ve had sex or something to know if I’d be a risk for pregnancy or something 🤔

@hugosilva I’d usually say you’re probably fine but the rates of movement are higher in the first month, hence why they have you go back. I’d say give it a couple of days, try again, and maybe use condoms until you can either feel the strings again or get the follow up? I know it sucks 😕