BumGenius elastics – no sew or full replacement method?

I am going to try my hand at fixing the elastics in some BumGenius diapers and would love to hear from people who have done it before.

I am wondering if I should first do the no-sew way and get the last of the life out of the current elastic before doing a full replacement. For those who have done this method before, about how much time does it buy you?

Does anyone recommend just diving in and doing the full replacement instead? I found this method for the full replacement.

I assume that once you replace the elastics, that takes care of the common issue with bumgenius elastics not lasting as long. Is there a brand of replacement elastics that is recommended to get more life out of bumgeniuses?

Thanks!

Hi all, thanks for all the thoughts! I just started tonight and a couple of the elastic still felt decent enough to try the no sew first.

Just a heads up if anyone goes to do it, it’s really hard to tie the knot! Once it was done, it seems comparable to my newer bumgeniuses, but it took a lot longer than expected and there were moments I wasn’t sure I’d ever get the knot tied.

Still planning to do the full replacement on some with more slack elastic soon.

@mymakersdaughter Try the full replacement to see how annoying it is. Then gauge whether it is “worth it” to try the no-sew way to avoid doing that, with the possibility that you might have to do the full replacement soon after.

Keep in mind that you’ll get faster at either method after doing a few diapers.

@mymakersdaughter Wow, coninsidence! I've just ordered elastics to replace a stack of bumgenius nappies I got secondhand (10 for £20 yay). I hadn't heard of the no sew method but for mine I definitely don't see it doing enough, they're really quite slack and need more life!

I'm planning to do some tomorrow. It sounds easy and quick enough, I'll try to remember to report back!

@jeek I tried two with the no sew tonight bc their elastic seemed fairly good still. It was straight forward but tying the knot was really hard and took me a long time to actually get. Going to try full replacement on some of the others soon.

@mymakersdaughter Ye I had a look at it for mine and yep, it didn't feel like there was enough spring remaining in the elastic.

I replaced one of them; it took me about 30 mins but I'm very inexperienced with a needle and thread and I was doing a lot of faffing trying to decide what length to cut my elastic and just being generally unsure if myself and slow... I found 3" of elastic seems good. I'll definitely get quicker, it was very straightforward really! 😊

@mymakersdaughter I tried the no-sew method on one bumgenius diaper this week and it does not do the job in my opinion. The elastic was very tired. It just does not look comfortable for the baby. I plan on replacing the elastics completely.

Back