Bulking up an H. E. Washer

klewanne

Wondering if other people bulk up their high efficiency washers when washing diapers? I have the whirlpool high efficiency cabrio machine that has a low profile agitator. Every 2 to 3 days I wash about 25 pocket diapers with inserts. Machine is maybe half full? Cold water rinse then heavy duty cycle with a extra rinse. Tide free and gentle at just below the 4 line.

Wondering if my reoccurring rash problems could be do to not enough agitation? The rash is always in the groin/pee zone and never at the bum.

Any insight please?
Thanks!

Swish test today also looked clear, no detergent build up.

@klewanne This post is helpful to me too cus I'm trying to figure out my wash routine with the same machine.

By the way, according to Fluff Love University, the Whirlpool Cabrio HE reuses the dirty, soapy water for rinsing, so I don't use the extra rinse button ever.

@klewanne Yeah, I think the rinse cycle is 20-25 mins long, I forget (even tho I was just looking at the washer, lol)

I started with rinse & spin as the first wash with just diapers and the heavy duty as the main wash bulked up with other small clothes, but that didn't feel clean enough. Now I'm doing normal and then heavy. I wasn't adding another rinse & spin after those two washes, but I may do that as I'm still experimenting with my wash routine.

@klewanne You already have great suggestions here, but I wanted to add one more: washing jax. Different brands in make them in different shapes, but they're basically plastic balls that encourage agitation. They've worked great in my HE top loader

@klewanne Hi! I actually have the same machine as you, assuming your Cabrio is also a top loader? I always measured my diaps to exactly 50% capacity from the rim of the drum to the bottom. I have a dedicated, measured and marked stick for this.

Also, the Cabrio has an option for “deep clean”, which is near the rinse and spin option it adds on extra agitation to the load.

We are out of diapers now, so I can’t exactly remember my pre and main washes, but I always used hot water, normal cycle, deep clean, heavy soil level, high spin. I have hard water, but was using Tide Original and did not need to add borax or another water softener.

Overall, I hate my Cabrio and curse the day that my regular top loader kicked the bucket.

@amazingayla Yes it's a top loader. Came with the house unfortunately 😅. The lid is breaking on mine so it always alarms at me, and I curse this stupid machine almost daily lol. When I use the heavy duty for my main wash it already automatically turns on the deep clean.

Thank you everyone. I will start doing a normal plus heavy instead of rinse plus heavy. Annoying since these are all lpo pockets and I have always followed their instructions listed on their website to the letter!

@klewanne Half full is generally ideal for HE washers. I’d bet your issues are coming from not doing two full wash cycles. The first should have a little detergent to get the bulk of the waste out, then more in the second to really deep clean them.

@klewanne IMO the issue would be your wash routine rather than not bulking. Ideally should have 2 full washes, not just a rinse

Here’s what I do with Tide F&G powder and soft water (do you know your water hardness?):

prewash

Line 2

Normal wash

Heavy soil

Cold/lukewarm water

main wash

Line 4

Heavy duty wash

Heavy soil

Hot water

+ extra rinse

I’d strip and sanitize to reset your diapers, then change up the wash routine

@molly01 With hard water, it is recommended to have as minimal rinses as possible. In hard water, powder detergent such as Tide work really well.

What is your routine? Do you use water softener such as Borax?

Prewash: I do normal wash in cool or warm, line 1 of Tide powder, highest spin.

Main wash: line 4 of Tide, hot, heavy duty, high spin. No extra rinse. My water is around 160, so Tide works (until 180), but if I used another detergent, I would need borax.

@andujartyler Every 2 to 3 days. Last wash I put detergent to under line 2 and then to under line 4 in main wash. Do not know the exact water hardness but it is not hard water.

Back