Brown discharge instead of period?

rogerwilson

I have been on combination pill (Junel) for the last 5 years. I'm very good at taking my pills, i've probably missed a total of 8 pills ever and have missed 0 in nearly the last year. I take the pill every night within the same 2-3 hour time frame, always right before I get into bed. My "period" comes every Tuesday (3rd day) of my placebo week and lasts until that Thursday. Last month, I only had very light brown discharge for my typical 3 days and did not even need a pantyliner, when normally I use a menstrual cup - it was not enough to even get onto my underwear. Normally I cramp and get mild breast tenderness but got no period symptoms this time around. Had unprotected sex exactly 10 days before the brown discharge first appeared. Absolutely no other symptoms recently (no frequent peeing, no fatigue, no N/V, no cramping) except random nipple soreness (no breast tenderness!) in the last 2 days – though I feel like this may be placebo effect after googling my symptoms and repeatedly being told by google that I'm pregnant.

On day 10 of the new cycle and still no period (unless the brown discharge counted as a period?), I feel like I am more than likely fine but would love some opinions/advice/anecdotes to ease my mind!

@rogerwilson Brown discharge is very common before bleeding begins. If you haven't been missing pills, there is very little chance you're pregnant. Taking a test 2-3 weeks after 'unprotected sex' would give an accurate result, but, kinda no reason to believe you need to based on this.

Symptoms don't tell you much either way, unfortunately. Good luck.

@ahcadvocacy Just thought it was strange that no actual bleeding began! Just brown discharge a few times a day for the three days.

Not too worried as like you said, I haven't missed any pills. Thanks for the info!

@rogerwilson I’m on junel fe and my periods have a lot of brown. it’s normal. sometimes it’s dark red blood and the next day it’ll be all brown or sometimes it’ll just be brown. take a pregnancy test to ease your mind! :)

Back