Best things about minivans?

porcupine73

Hello! I've been reading here for a bit but first time posting. Our family needs a new vehicle, and it seems like a minivan is the most practical option. We have a 1.5 year old, baby #2 on the way, and are planning for four kids total. Need a vehicle that can get us through the next 10 years or so with 2-4 kids in carseats (plus transport all the equipment that goes with them).

Problem I'm having is: I never saw myself as a minivan owner (I've got some mom imposter syndrome from years of infertility). I am having trouble getting excited about it or imagining myself driving around in a minivan. But I REALLY WANT to be excited, so please help me fall in love with minivans. ❤

What do you love about minivans?

What are some minivan perks that sedans, trucks, or SUVs don't have?

Any must-have features for a 2-4 kid family?

Favorite makes/models?

Thank you! Wishing all of you and your families the best!

Edit for follow-up: We ended up picking a 2022 Honda Odyssey EX-L. And I am definitely excited about it. 😊 Thanks to everyone for their helpful input on models and features. This is a lovely community.

@porcupine73 When people find out that they are expecting baby #3, they typically go with a minivan or an SUV. We personally went straight for the MAXI-van! (Mercedes Sprinter)

Pros: it seats up to 12 very comfortably with room to spare OR 2 + full sheets of drywall. The bench seats are heavy but very easy to remove. Safety is ranked very high with German made vehicles and it will last forever. Plus, when the kids are moved out, we can convert it into a camper =)

Cons: it is too tall to fit through most drive-thrus BUT my eldest is 6'2 and can stand up straight in it. (Also, it's helped my husband loose his baby weight because the convenience of fast food isn't there.) It runs on diesel which is really expensive right now. The sliding door weighs about as much as a double stroller (not automatic) but that has helped me get really toned arms.

Just to note: my in-laws had the VW minivan and the clearance was so low that it got stuck in the snow regularly. Not a problem if you are not in the North or Midwest but something to consider.

Good luck on your journey!

@porcupine73 Go test drive one!! We haven't bought one yet because with everything going on its more then I want to spend right now. But my family and I rented one on our vacation, and everyone loved it. Our child loved it more then you would think a kid would lol. But especially if you have been driving kids around in a car a mini van just feels Hella nice. Like ah all this leg room, and room to get car seats in and out. No awkward seat configurations.

@porcupine73 It just works for the lifestyle of a larger than 2 child family. Stow and go seating, comfortable area for the adults in the front. Adjustable seating which makes storage easy up u til you have your 4th kid.

We dealt with infertility for years and now if I even touch my wife she gets pregnant lol. We blame the pill.

@porcupine73 They are made for moms driving kids all over the place, so the driver's area is usually really comfortable and well organized. Cup holders, charging ports, all the good stuff. Plus, the seats are usually super easy to customize, some even come with settings buttons so you and your partner can just push a button and the seat will automatically adjust itself back to how you had it after the last person drove it.

Driving a minivan felt way more luxurious than driving my SUV. It's like they wanted to stress the 'ruggedness' vs comfort.

@porcupine73 Stow and go grand caravan

Lots of features, the roof rack is handy, very versatile, get the dvd player, seriously get the dvd player, and the price is reasonable. The Siennas are nice but pricy and tbh i love the convenience of the fold away seats of the caravan.

@pharmasmita I’ve had the opposite experience when I drive SUV’s on vacation. I don’t know why anyone would want one. Terrible visibility, zero trunk space and the kids are always slamming the doors into the car next to us. Love my van.

@pharmasmita We had one kid when we rented a minivan and this is what happened to me. I fell in love. Soooo easy. Had a big cozy bench in the back to breastfeed. Big floor space to change diapers. Cruising in my land yacht. We now have a dodge caravan and three kids in car seats. Can't imagine the car seat shuffling without the minivan.

Third rows you can't access in SUV's really aren't convenient at all.

Back