Barnyard smell on Mama Koala pockets

avery123

Just reposting what I posted to the FLU FB page.

Help, please. I'm getting really frustrated with barnyard smell despite consistently using the recommended amounts of detergent and bulking appropriately. We wash every 2 days, and we spray until there is no visible residue left on the diapers. I feel like this issue has been compounded by having to change detergents based on whatever the store has in stock at the time.

Side note: I really started to notice this issue after I stopped using borax in the prewash after doing my water test, so maybe I need to start doing that again?
  1. Barnyard smell on some Mama Koala pocket diapers after main wash. Daughter has also developed a rash.
  2. Barnyard issue has been ongoing for about 3 weeks. Rash has been within the past few days.
    A. Tide heavy duty 10x liquid (we have had to change a few times since we started CD a few months ago due to runs at the store. We were using Tide FG liquid before.)
    B. Line 2 prewash, line 5 main wash
    C. Large scoop of Biz in the prewash, 0.5c of borax in main wash.
    D. Around 20 pockets, some covers, plus a bunch prefolds, hemp inserts, and MF inserts.
    E. Mama koala pockets, bumgenius pockets, flip covers, humble bebe prefolds, mama Koala MF inserts, thirsties hemp inserts
    F. Samsung HE top load aquajet VRT
    G. HE
    H. Prewash - normal, warm, heavy soil, main wash - heavy duty, hot, heavy soil, aquajet option. I've been doing rinse and spin at the end due to covers feeling slimy at the end of the main wash (I know I shouldn't, but I'm going for total honesty here).
    I. Load size is usually between 2/3-3/4. I've tried both, and the issue is still there.
    J. Water hardness is around 150 in both cold and hot water.
    K. Issue started since we last reupped on detergent, so about a week.
I have RLR and plan to strip tomorrow to start over.

Also, since I'm using Tide liquid and my hardness is around 150, shouldn't I use borax in both prewash and main wash?

@avery123 Try the Cloth Diaper Wash and Care group on Facebook. They will help with stripping and a new routine. They are anti-FLU over there as FLU is notorious for advising too much detergent. Good luck!

@avery123 In my experience that is too much detergent. I would go down to line 3-4 for main wash. If you felt like you needed an extra rinse it was definitely too much and there is probably some detergent build up, which can lead to smells and rashes. Flu is great for some things but I find they recommend waaaaay more detergent than is needed.

@markymatt I agree that too much detergent (or the wrong detergent) might be contributing to this. Liquid detergents overall seem to not wash out well, and neither does Borax, according to some of the diaper groups. So Detergent buildup is definitely a problem in diapers that gets reported a lot.

@avery123 Sounds like a strip is definitely needed. I have the same machine. I love the aquajet. I use it in my prewash cycle as well but use cold water, definitely nice to use in the main wash. This machine the manufacturer says to have it at least 3/4 full so bulk if you need too. I have found that tide powder works best, I was using liquid but found it didn't work as good. Then read the manual and it stated that powder works best in this machine and that was a whole game changer for me. I also have slightly hard water and powder Tide has the softener in it. Hope this helps you out, and good luck 😊

@avery123 Sounds like it might be hard water build up. If you can find it, i would try powdered tide. I also have hard water and have used liquid and powdered tide and I've noticed liquid doesn't work for me. I have to use powdered tide along with calgon water softener.

Back