Baby Girl Names Ideas

desertjim74

Hi Reddit Fam! I recently learned I'm gona be a dad for the second time. My first born's name starts with an L and I was curious if y'all had some amazing names for girls that start with L. That is aside from the typical Lauren, Lisa, Loraine, Lisandra, and Luciana.

The wife and I always struggle finding common ground because for context she is White American and I am Latino/European. Anyway, any cool and beautiful names out there with the letter L? Thanks so much y'all!

@desertjim74 We considered Lydia for our daughter (though we ultimately went with something else). Lily is also lovely. So is Layla, and you get the bonus of being able to play them the song! I also used to know someone named Lietta, and I always thought that was a beautiful name.

@desertjim74 Personally, I think fitting a name to a convention isn't always the best call. I mean, you do you.

I just personally think finding a name with a lot of meaning is best.

But my grandfather, bless his soul, had 10 kids. Each kid has a middle name starting with M. No one knows why. The running joke was that my mom, being kid number 9, was going to be Magnavox.

@desertjim74 So a story in the UK where a guy named his daughter Lanesra, pretty sounding name you may say. Now read it backwards. It's Arsenal (his favourite football team or soccer team as you may call it) the mother was livid when she found out

@dragonite Bruh. His poor wife is like why are we naming our daughter something that sounds like a cholesterol medication but OK you seem passionate about it. Then boom.

@desertjim74 In the US, the Social Security Administration tracks name popularity going back many years. link

I find it a good source of inspiration, and also a good way to check how common a name is in the US. For example, “Luna” is very popular recently.

@desertjim74 I saw a ski movie once where the skier was taking a trip with his daughter - Lilliana - and I thought it was a very pretty name. Could always call her Lily for short.

Back