Baby Brezza - fixing underdispensing

shofarsong

OK, I’ve been having some weird variances with the baby Brezza formula advanced pro. In short, the issue is over dispensing of water and slight under dispensing of formula.

So it seems that if I want 4 ounces of formula I think I figure out the issue. When I was weighing the amount of water being dispensed, I saw that 4 ounces was actually coming in at 4.25 ounces, consistently. Interestingly, that’s also the equivalent of 120 g. My guess is, since this is a Canadian company they’ve actually calibrated the machine to grams not ounces.

Anyways, the next issue, is the under dispensing of formula. We use the Enfamil Neuropro Gentlease.

For a 4 ounce bottle I should be dispensing 17.4 g of formula. Now with the baby Brezza under the setting number four I actually end up getting something closer to 15 g. And this is setting number 4. Interestingly, the setting used to be #5.

So, I set the formula to 5. And guess what, it’s actually dispensing 17.5 g as opposed to roughly 15 g.

So, I’m not really sure which one is better. But considering the machine is now dispensing much much closer to the amount specified on the can So, I’m not really sure which one is better. But considering the machine is now dispensing much much closer to the amount specified on the can again that is for a 4 ounce bottle. It should be 2 unpacked level scoops, which is 17.4 g.

Question for you all:
Do I log 4oz feed or 5oz feed?
The water + formula by volume is pretty much 5oz.

@shofarsong So we actually have the EXACT same problem. Dispensing .25 ounces water every time AND under dispensing formula. Here’s what I do:

1) our formula (enfamil AR) is 9 grams per scoop, so since .25 ounces is 1/8 of 2 ounces/scoop, we add 1.25 grams of formula to every bottle we make regardless of the size.

2) after a few tests I found out how much (roughly) we were under per ounce. We basically have a bunch of pre made containers of 4.95 grams of formula in our kitchen which is what we need to add to the 5 ounce bottle we press.

To answer your question - the 5 ounce bottle setting makes a 6 ounce bottle, which is what we log for our son. Does it totally defeat the purpose of the machine to have to add formula? Yes. Once we don’t have overnight feeds anymore I’m getting rid of the machine. Every doctor we’ve spoken to has let us know how appalled they are that the machine is still allowed to be sold based on all of the problems it causes with inaccuracy 😭

Back