Any recommendations for a toddler-safe pacifier similar to the Dr Brown Happy Paci?

emmacaroline

I just went to order more Dr. Brown Happy Paci's for my 14-month-old and only now realized that they are meant for 0-6months. From what I have read, the concern with older babies/ toddler is that the material is soft enough to bite through and become a choking hazard. I feel really dumb now!

But my son loooves these pacifiers, so I am very anxious to find a toddler-safe pacifier with a similar shape! Any recommendations?

Edit: I realized after posting that I should probably just go on Amazon and look for pacifiers that appear to have a similar shape! I ordered some from Nuby and Avent. Will report back in case it’s helpful to anyone else!

@emmacaroline I'm here to see the answers! Also desperately looking for one for my 19 month old that is still hooked to it at bed time.

He's never used it as a teething toy or bitten through it or damaged it in any way yet if that makes you feel better but YMMV.

I tried the actual Dr Browns toddler ones but they're not even close to the same shape. He'll occasionally take one for a few minutes if he finds it in his play room but then ditches it

@oceanskk Yeah, my son hasn't shown any signs of biting his either, so I'd imagine he's a ways off from biting a whole chunk off. But it still makes me a little anxious to know that it's a possibility, especially since he uses them at bedtime. I'll let you know how it goes with the new ones I ordered!

@oceanskk Thanks for reminding me! Here is a comparison of the Nuby vs Dr. Brown’s pacifiers.

I would say that the Nuby pacifiers don’t seem as magical as the Dr. Brown’s ones. With the Dr. Brown’s ones, I feel like he would just instantly relax and zone out once one was in his mouth. With the Nuby ones, he takes them in and out of his mouth a lot more. But he does still like them! And they do seem to help with sleep.

I ended up not even trying the Avent ones because their nipple shape looked basically identical to the Nuby ones, but they don’t have handles, so they just seemed overall less appealing. Once it was clear that the Nuby ones were going to work ok, I just returned the Avents.

Hope this helps!

@emmacaroline Oh my gosh! I'm going through this same exact thing now with my 14 month old and just realized they are only for up to 6 months. I also tried their toddler one and my daughter hates it. I'm definitely going to be ordering the nuby to try! Thank you!!

@blessedhunter I hope it works out for you! He ended up liking them a lot! Until he started getting his thumb stuck in them a few months ago and we had to change yet again. We couldn’t find a pacifier with a similar nipple shape that had a closed back, so we ended up switching to something totally different. And then he kinda self-weaned off of pacifiers. We still put a few in his crib, and he likes to carry them around lol, but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen him point one in his mouth.

@emmacaroline Our first never took a pacifier and used his thumb. We finally winged our 2nd off the pacifier around 18 months after realizing how much her teeth have moved and out of place there were becoming. We talked to her and now it is only a bedtime thing. She usually spits it out after 15 minutes asleep. It’s hard but try to wing your toddler off the pacifier before it impacts the teeth. It only gets more challenging!

@emmacaroline We continued to use the baby version of the paci he liked (I think 0-6mo), I just inspected them every time I washed/gave him one. If it looked cracked or like it was starting to have a hole it got thrown out. The older child versions are the same size just thicker material and he wasn't a fan. 🤷‍♀️

@emmacaroline This is a Fakespot Reviews Analysis bot. Fakespot detects fake reviews, fake products and unreliable sellers using AI.

Here is the analysis for the Amazon product reviews:

Name: Dr. Brown's HappyPaci 100% Silicone Pacifier 0-6m, BPA Free, White, Blue, Light Blue, 3 Pack

Company: Visit the Dr. Brown's Store

Amazon Product Rating: 4.7

Fakespot Reviews Grade: D

Adjusted Fakespot Rating: 1.8

Analysis Performed at: 02-08-2024

Link to Fakespot Analysis | Check out the Fakespot Chrome Extension!

Fakespot analyzes the reviews authenticity and not the product quality using AI. We look for real reviews that mention product issues such as counterfeits, defects, and bad return policies that fake reviews try to hide from consumers.

We give an A-F letter for trustworthiness of reviews. A = very trustworthy reviews, F = highly untrustworthy reviews. We also provide seller ratings to warn you if the seller can be trusted or not.

Back