Another day, another question

pena150695

Hazy Lungs in X-rays

Our child has been in the NICU coming up on 2 months. He was born 37 weeks +2, IUGR (5lb 2 oz). Has always had respiratory complications such as retractions and struggling to take breaths.

His chest X-rays the past few weeks have consistently shown hazier lungs. They’ve given him steroids and diuretics to try to clear up but it’s still hazy after two weeks of medications.

Has anyones child has this? Any other suggestions? Doctors are stumped. They want to do a CT scan but I really don’t want to expose my kid to radiation at such a young age.

@pena150695 If they suggest a CT scan, they probably have done the cost benefit/analysis of radiation exposure and estimate the information gained would be more beneficial than the limited exposure. I'd follow their lead.

@pena150695 A CT scan smits very little radiation. I'd do the CT scan. I'm not sure what else to suggest as they sound like they've done almost all they can. Best wishes.

@pena150695 Do the CT scan, and the genome testing. Doctors don’t request these tests unless there’s a reason—-and your son is a complex case and they need all the information they can get to help him, especially as it seems his lungs are getting worse.

@pena150695 Not a doctor. I assume they've already looked at his heart, but if not, ask them to do an echo. A VSD will cause all of those symptoms. My girl had breathing issues and hazy x-rays up until her recent surgery to patch the VSD.

If he's 2 months old, though, I'd be really surprised if they didn't already check for that.

@avi8856455 Thanks - they've done about 4 ECHOS already since he had his CoArc surgery. They keep saying everything looks ok. I'm assuming they checked for VSD already as well. I'll ask during rounds.

@pena150695 Hi, NICU nurse here. Since his echo doesn’t show vsd or any other defects, I’m wondering does the baby bottle feed? If so what is the quality of the feedings? Does he choke/cough gag/become tachypneic etc during feedings? Could he be aspirating milk? Does he have bad reflux? If so, I’m wondering if he has had an upper gi study. If he has an NG or OG tube is it being checked for placement before feeds? Just my thoughts. Hope it helps

@enealey First off - thank you for everything you guys do. You guys do so much for our babies and my wife and I are forever grateful for all NICU nurses/doctors.

He has a NG tube right now since he needs respiratory support. He throws up about 2-3 times a day (15ml each time). They think he might be aspirating or reflux. We did an Upper GI test yesterday and it came back fine - said no reflux but they only put in 7ml in his stomach. His normal feed is about 55ml.

He's been stumping all the doctors. They're giving him diuretics to clear his lungs since they're showing up hazy.