Am I doing this right?

iluvatar5150

Sorry this got long.

Background:

I gave birth a week ago Friday via unplanned c-section. After she was out, they discovered pretty bad placenta accreta, and I almost lost my uterus. As it stands, getting pregnant again would be dangerous and possibly deadly.

Despite that, my colostrum was immediately available. The baby nurse helped me to express it into a spoon and baby girl drank it right up. Unfortunately, she’s got a terrible shallow latch, and I ended up with split nipples quickly. The hospital set me up with donor milk and a pump. I was still trying to breastfeed and met with multiple lactation consultants in the hospital.

The day after we came home, she stopped having wet or dirty diapers, so I started supplementing with a little bit of formula. My nipples were killing me, so I decided to just pump for a while until they healed. I’m also still supplementing with formula.

So, am I doing this right?
  1. I’m trying really hard to pump 8-12 times a day. Yesterday, it was only 7. Today will be 8.
  2. I’m using a Spectra S1. I also used a hand pump a few times.
  3. I think I’m using the correct falange size. Several of the hospital consultants suggested either a 19mm or 21mm. I bought inserts and have tried both. The 21mm are the most comfortable, so that’s what I’ve been using. I didn’t pump much with the 19mm.
  4. My nipples swell up a lot while I’m pumping. They are finally healing though, and I’m thankfully not in pain anymore
  5. Each pumping session, I get slightly less than 1oz total from both breasts. I start in the bacon setting for 2 minutes, then run the other setting for 8 minutes. Rinse and repeat for 30 minutes. There’s not much/nothing coming out at the end.
  6. Baby girl is eating 2 oz per feeding though, so I’m definitely not making enough.
  7. My breasts don’t feel full at all. They’re actually kind of floppy. I read that means you’re regulated, but baby isn’t even a week old. I can’t be regulated.
  8. I’ve used both ice and heat. I’ve also massaged my breasts before and during pumping.
What can I do to increase supply other than pump more often which is already part of the plan?

X-posted to another sub.

@iluvatar5150 I would bet with an unplanned c that your milk is not fully in yet on day 7. How are things going now?

I think you may need a different flange size and more frequent but less length in pumping. Cap pumps at 20 mins and prioritize more frequent milk removal, including at least one between the hours of 1 and 4 am —this can help up regulate supply. Tons of skin to skin snuggling, hydration, and calories also help!

@iluvatar5150 In case you want any advice on the latch:

Your nipple needs to be pointing at the roof of baby's mouth. Make sure you're not aiming it at the back of the throat. I bf my first for 20 months and when I had my second less than 18 months later, I'd somehow totally forgotten to do this and his latch was really painful until I remember what to do. The flipple technique is really good for getting the placement right. Also use a breastfeeding pillow, it makes everything so much easier.

Oh and get a haakaa pump to stick on the non- feeding breast to catch let down while you feed.

@iluvatar5150 If your nipples are swelling while pumping you might have too big of a flange. They shouldn't do that.

Pumping for 30 minutes is a lot. I would try adding stimulation while pumping by petting and gently massaging your breasts and then when you are done hand express for 5 minutes. This has been shown to increase supply by 3x. Any day now your milk should come in. For me it was on day 7.

If you can, keep latching baby for the practice and as it's the best simulation for your breasts. Doesn't have to be a full feed, but do try for a few minutes. You are doing great. These early days are tough!

@iluvatar5150 Sounds like you’re doing everything right. Love the “bacon setting” lol using that term now. Milk doesn’t regulate till about 12 weeks. Your body went through some major trauma, give it some time! Just keep doing what you’re doing! You got this mama. Follow bemybreastfriend on insta. She is a c-section mom who talks about pumping post c. Milk nest is great too to follow. Lots of good advice on there.