Am I asking too much?

athaddeus

I have some diapers listed on a local Facebook b/s/t cloth diaper group, but they've been up a while and not selling. They're Gdiapers brand, so I'm wondering if it's maybe just that it's not as popular as some other brands or if I'm asking for too much. I have listed and sold some other brands/types of diapers much quicker than these, so that's why I'm wondering. Here's what I said in my original post:

"These were an experiment, and I've decided I like prefolds and AIOs better. The orange and green diapers on the far left are size small (8-14 lbs) and were purchased brand new by me and only used once. The other 4 diapers are size medium (13-28 lbs) and were bought used through this group (one has some bleach stains). I replaced 2 of the gussets on the medium diapers, but the gussets only come in a 6 pack so you get 4 extra brand new medium gussets. I also have 12 medium and 6 small cloth inserts (also bought used through this group). Everything has been washed, and the inserts have been freshly stripped and bleached."

I did the math, and everything brand new retail would be over $200, so I went with the 50% off retail rule and am asking for $100 (since I bought some of them used I'm not in quite that deep, fortunately). What do you all think?

Photo link

@athaddeus I'd take out the language about how they were an experiment and that you decided on a different system. I've also never spent more than $5 on a used cover, inserts included or not.

@athaddeus Okay, so I’m not familiar with gdiapers but personally I wouldn’t pay $100 for 6 used diapers regardless of brand. I buy my diapers brand new for $8 a piece, and about $2 per insert - so I could get 10, with bamboo inserts, for the same price (I buy from diaper co-ops and they’re made by MumsBest).

Maybe you’d have better luck in a GDiapers group? See if you can search “gdiapers bst” or something along those lines and you’ll find people who specifically like that brand, and perhaps compare pricing with other posts.

@athaddeus I can only speak for myself, but g diapers were my least favorite. I would never pay even 50% of retail prices for them. I had to sell my used lot which was 20+ g diapers and inserts in used condition to good used condition for $50 to get them out.

However, some parents I know swear by them. Maybe the market in your area is leaning more toward my opinion. Have you tried putting them on Mercari?

@johnvesli Hadn't heard of Mercari before, thanks for the info! Yeah, I know a lot of people don't like them, but then there's others that swear by them so I was banking on finding someone in the latter category.

@sprinkle Does replacing the gussets really count as a repair? They're snap-in, so I didn't do any sewing or anything like that, I just ordered brand new ones from the manufacturer and snapped them in.

@athaddeus I see. Ive only seen them referred to as “pouches”. It looks like g-diaper as a brand refers to them as pouches as well. Calling them “gussets” makes me think you replaced the leg elastic.

Im not trying to be nit picky, but that might be affecting your sales as well. I would change the terminology there to be more clear. Also, just leave out the narrative that you replaced them and list the extra pouches as part of the lot.

I don’t think you are going to get $100 for it, but maybe correcting the verbiage will get some people to make you an offer.

ETA: I see that most of the $$ here is in the inserts. I think that’s where the pricing discrepancy is the most substantial. New, a g diaper insert is $5/a piece. But you can stuff a g diaper with literally anything, like a $2 brand new prefold. So expecting to get 50%, $2.50 for a cotton insert is probably the issue here. I looked over at eBay and g diaper inserts just aren’t selling for that much.

Back