9 yo boy - sneaking food/hiding wrappers

keithfin007

Hoping for some insight-

My 9yo has been doing some interesting things with food habits lately.

Incident 1) Had taken several regular sizes candy bars from closet (my husband works for a candy company and these weren’t actually to be consumed but to be given to customers -9 yo knows this). Hid the wrappers under his dresser. Had a lovely, non-threatening talk with him, made the candy leas accessible. No big deal. We laughed about it, told him he could be honest with me, admitted I’d done that when I was his age too.

Incident 2- 1.5 weeks later - Found 3 more candy wrappers hidden in his books??? When approached about it this time, I felt like he wasn’t truthful with me. Lied and said he ate 1 per week over the last 4 weeks. But the incident had to take place after incident 1. After this, had a more serious talk. Discussed his habits at school and how sometimes sugary foods make you more hungry. Made some small, discreet changes to snacks for school (more fruits, veggies and protein) and added more protein to breakfast. Made a snack plate in the afternoon with healthy choices out and accessible, which he loves. Still not forbidding any foods but trying to teach good habits, like eat a balanced meals, healthy snacks, stay hydrated and have some yummy treats every now and again.

Incident 3- About a week after the above changes were made, we found about 10 uneaten clementines and 6 Clif bars (both of which he requested, picked out and packed himself-me trying to give him some autonomy and control over the foods he eats) thrown away in his bathroom trash can. Now mind you, he didn’t do such a great job hiding this.

What’s going on here? I feel like our family has a healthy balance of nutritious eating with treats sprinkled in. I’ve never denied him sweets but I limit them. Like, you can have cake after a nutritious dinner but we don’t eat cake for breakfast, which I believe to be sensible.

As far as his personality, he is highly intelligent, very sensitive, probably adhd (has been red flagged for this, but no impulsive/hyperactivity-mainly loss of focus, organization, forgetfulness,etc.), very active, aims to please, never gets in trouble at school or spo

Not that he’s perfect. From a very young age, his preschool teachers and us noticed he was very quick/manipulative almost with words to get out of trouble. He can come back very quickly with a rebuttal that is hard to dispute and has been capable of this since he was 3. Has a tendency to tell little lies. I believe this is due to his sensitive nature and fear of getting in trouble. I picture him being the kind of teen that all the moms want their daughters to date bc he’s such a “good boy” but he def has a sneaky side when nobody is watching, lol! The kid that nobody would ever suspect!

So, how do I proceed here? What’s going on with him? Or, do all kids kind of go through this at some point? Is there another issue going on, like feeling no control over his life or a developmental stage to exert some control/rebellion? I want to resolve this in a way that still allows him a nutritious diet with some fun treats here and there, without causing a food complex or even worse, an eating disorder.

TY for any feedback.

@johndaniels Me too! It’s weird! I can’t put my finger on what’s going on with him. He also will tell us he likes something but won’t eat it after 2 or 3 days. Which makes me think he’s only telling us that to appease us. But then that’s wasteful and expensive and we become frustrated. I just want him to be truthful!

@keithfin007 Since you’re not really getting any replies I’ll share my perspective which - upon reading your story again - is probably not relevant for you and your 9yo, but you never know.

My 14yo started showing the same behavior when she was 11, 12-ish, including being manipulative about it and lying.

I’m not sure if it’s related to that behavior when she was 11 in any way but now she has a lot of stress around eating - a good 4 years later. This leads to a vicious circle of not eating enough of the right food, but eating too much candy and chips, feeling nauseous because her stomach is upset, feeling nauseous because she didn’t eat enough, feeling guilty, resulting in eating less because of the nausea and the guilt, etc etc. I think there’s also an element of pressure from Instagram to confirm to the “ideal” and stupid remarks somebody may have made someday about her.

Here’s what I do think might be relevant to you:

I can’t change this or break this cycle. I can only support her. So I ramp up the casual conversations about mental health in general and her mental health, about her feelings, about anything and everything. I try to spend extra special alone time with her. I try to “baby” her in ways that she hasn’t allowed me to do in a long time but now she seems to find ok (tucking her in every once in a while, bringing her something she needs,…) I try to lay off on extra chores and I don’t focus on school work anymore. I feel maybe - just maybe - this is a covert cry for attention and I am going to give her that attention.

Maybe your boy just likes sweets and dislikes the healthy stuff. But Maybe he needs some extra time with you and you may figure out a small detail that he picked up somewhere and that affects him. I hope it’s the former but even if it’s the latter, I’m sure you will be able to figure it out.

@johndaniels Thank you so much! This was so helpful. I don’t think he’s experiencing any of the body image stuff yet. I believe it’s a combination of several things you’ve mentioned, but it was so helpful to hear someone else put it in to words. I’m just going to support him through this food transition.

Back