8 weeks pregnant - first ob appt today - kinda freaking out

angelfairy

Ok guys so hear me out - I’m 5’3 198lbs - 39f - this is my fourth but an accidental pregnancy my older kids are in their teens and I’m on my second marriage
I’m afraid bc I started wfh and I gained like 25 lbs and I was hoping to lose weight but then boom pregnant - I’ve had lots of throwing up these last 4 weeks and went down 4lbs
While I don’t love weighing this much I have found that the number on the scale does not define me
However I am freaking out about what my ob is going to say - when I had my older kids ( I gained about 50lbs each ) and my previous male ob gave me sht about mt weight gain
I have a woman ob now and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to deal or if I’m overreacting
I hope this came off ok and I don’t sound like an ahole lol

@angelfairy It’s really OB dependent. I’ve been a nervous nelly about my weight and my OB, the OB I saw when regular OB was on vacation, and 2 MFM docs have not said a word about my weight. I’ve asked my main OB a couple times about it and she’s been super chill.

@angelfairy I'm 8 weeks too and weigh 245 lbs with a high bmi of 42. My OB didn't say anything about my weight. Your OB will just likely monitor you and the weight you gain. Don't let it get to you. Lots of women with more weight have healthy pregnancies. The plus size pregnancy sub eased my mind.
Stay calm and carry on :)

Thank you guys - you’ve made feel me better and I’m going in to this appt more excited than nervous about what the scale says :) it’s not like I can change it in the next few hours anyway lmao

@angelfairy my weight/height ratio isn't too far off from yours and the only thing my OB has mentioned once is they don't want to see a ton of weight gain, they had me do the gestational diabetes test early (fine, I could be naturally fat because if how my body processes insulin, that feels like a fair check, and I passed just fine), and they started me on baby aspirin to help prevent pre-eclampsia at 12 weeks (also fine, that's becoming standard practice in some areas, and it's a very low risk high reward scenario). it likely depends strongly on the OB and practice you go to, but if possible try to go in and let them prove your expectations of a bad experience wrong. it might end up being completely fine!

@angelfairy I’m also 5’3” 198! I’m 16 weeks and my OB has been amazing. She just said the goal is to gain between 11-20 lbs but won’t shame me if I gain more. I haven’t been labeled as high risk or anything and am doing my best to eat healthy and exercise as much as possible. Just take care of yourself and find an OB who respects you! ❤️

@axydavid 15.5 weeks ! Doing good - haven’t gained much weight - lost 5lbs bc of hyperemesis - I’m having a blood pressure issue so my regular ob is focusing on that and there hasn’t been much focus on my weight from them
  • however the high risk dr I have to see through telehealth is a major bitch and keeps reminding me I’m old and obese ( according to bmi ) they had me do the 3 hour glucose test bc my 1 hour was slightly
    Elevated at 138- and I honestly couldn’t get through it - by the second blood draw I was passing out and they couldn’t get blood out of my veins - the nurses cancelled it for my safety - I’m also a thalassemia carrier ( my partner is not ) and am severely anemic - the high risk dr said I wasn’t anemic and she said why did u not continue bc you couldn’t eat - like come on that was rude
    But other than that baby BOY is healthy and growing nicely

Back