8.5 hours of night sleep for 9 weeks old (almost 10 weeks)

smithe7

Don't hate me but my 9 week old baby slept a whopping 8 and half hours last night. She is ebf and i too slept thru the night regretfully so she didn't get any feeding last night and she is already at the cusp of minimum weight she needs to put on (she was 3.850 gr on her 1 month checkup and she weighed 4.470 gr on her 2 month check up so she put on only 620 gr). What i wanna know is if sleeping this long is normal for her age or should i be worried and also with the minimum weight in mind, should i make a point of waking her up to feed?

@smithe7 My baby is also 9 weeks old and has been sleeping through the night (5+ hours) since 3 days old. I woke her up for about a week but once she got back to birth weight I stopped. She’s been sleeping over 8 hrs since 6 weeks. It always feels un natural but it’s what she’s always been doing and she is gaining weight fine (she’s in the 80th percentile for weight) so I just take it as it is and am super grateful for it.

If your baby is at the minimum weight though I would probably wake them up at least once. It also depends on other factors like how often do they eat during the day? Also is this a new thing; your baby sleeping this long? I think it’s hard to say if it’s normal or not depending on different factors. I do think though that if your baby isn’t gaining enough weight doctors would tell you to wake to feed until she’s gaining the right amount.

@mama357 It was that one time, sadly i didnt even get to enjoy it because i woke up to a puddle of milk in bed but we had an appointment with the ped today, she said to wake up the baby to feed again if she sleeps longer than 5 hours and that she was still too small to let her sleep (if that happened again) Thank you for your reply!

@smithe7 My baby slept like that overnight and would eat every 2 hours on the dot like clockwork for 7 feedings a day. As long as she's eating enough during the day, sleeping through the night shouldn't be a problem. But it'd definitely be worth asking the pediatrician their thoughts.

@_kenneth I started offering the boob more frequently after our ped said she is gaining the minimum weight that's considered healthy range but she'd like our baby to gain a little more so this mamma is flashing her boob every 2 hours as well. But sometimes she isnon it 10 mins sometimes 5 6 mins, which worries me.

@smithe7 Is she getting enough milk during the day to make up for it? With the weight concern I would be waking her up at night to make sure she feeds, but ask your pediatrician.

@patiencem She must have because she woke up all smiles and happy. I was advised to wake her up to feed at least one time by our ped too so that's what i'll do!

@smithe7 That’s about the time my son started sleeping through the night. Only your doctor will be able to tell you if you need to be waking them up to feed during the night though. Our doctor didn’t care about overall weight as much as long as there was continuous growth and told us not to worry about that. I’d reach out to your pediatrician.