5 months PP-swelling/pitting edema and higher BP

bc33

Hi all,

*I am consulting a doctor about this!

Backstory-i had pre-eclampsia/hypertension pregnancy induced around two weeks before birth with swelling and pitting edema on the front of my lower leg along with moderately high BP. I am 5 months PP and feeling those symptoms come back. My pitting is not as bad right now and is slightly visible (grade 1-2) on my forehead and finger tips and barely on my legs as well. I have elevated BP (130/90) and it fluctuates down to normal or lower than 120/80 for awhile but goes back up and I can feel those high blood pressure symptoms when it does. I’m EP’ing as well. Could this be from dehydration??? Anyone experiencing anything similar or has in the past?

@bc33 Are you on blood pressure medication? This happened to me as a side effect of taking the BP medication and went away after I was able to get off of it. My feet were still swelling up to 6 weeks PP.

@thewritingmommy Nope. I’m not on any medication. My doctor decided not to because I was getting induced shortly after they saw my high BP and didn’t want to mess with it causing any issues. I’m on antidepressants (Zoloft) and done heartburn meds, but that’s it

@bc33 It’s possible to get preeclampsia postpartum. I was told being induced would take care of it but that’s not always the case. Good news is that there is a way to treat it if you have that. I’d also ask about the possibility of a blood clot to rule it out. I’m hoping your blood pressure is elevated due to the stress of having a newborn and the edema is just left over from pregnancy and will go down. However, don’t let that possibility stop you from your plan to talk to a doctor. Both of the things I mentioned are potentially life threatening and important to rule out. Hugs. Edit: I reread your post that you’re 5 months postpartum. Your edema probably isn’t left over from pregnancy. Postpartum preeclampsia usually doesn’t happen after 6 weeks postpartum.

@gabbleduck It ended up being symptoms of low iron and vitamin Deficiencies. I would go get checked out by your doctor and get blood tests! Definitely don’t let it go. I’m almost two years PP now and it’s pretty much gone away. I think childbirth really messed my body up and it’s taking me all this time to get back into the groove of things just now.

@bc33 Did you happen to have elevated liver enzymes as well? I'm currently 11 weeks pp and have pitting in my feet and my legs are swollen as well. My Dr's office hasn't given me much to go on and I can't get an echo for another 2 months. Still waiting on the liver ultrasound.