36 weekers

monica123

Had my Didi twin girls two days ago at 36+2 and they have been in the NICU since for breathing and a feeding tube.
Baby A 4 lb 15 oz and baby B 4 lb 5 oz.
After a traumatic c section, I’m beyond devastated to see them in this state. Any words of encouragement or similar stories people can share? What can I expect? I just want them healthy and home with me but my mind goes down a dark path.

@monica123 I had my twins at 26 weeks. Yours were born nearly full term, so I would expect that you have a fairly uneventful NICU stay ahead of you. Every baby is different, so I really recommend being there for rounds and cares if possible so you can have a chance to hear more from their care teams and get your questions answered. We were told to expect discharge around their due date for most preemies.

@monica123 The hardest thing about 36 weekers is they look like regular term babies but they don’t always act like it. They still have growing and developing to do and especially on the earlier side of 36 weeks, may act more like 35 weekers. Plan to stay until your due date but honestly, I see 36 weekers go home mostly around the 7-10 day mark, so hopefully you won’t be there that long.

Take care of yourself! You will have many sleepless nights ahead of you but not many nights of rest - get those while you can, as much as you can.

@monica123 Focus on the bright side- both babies are healthy (just barely preemies!) and were only a few days from term. Hopefully they won’t have to stay too long. Look for support in processing the trauma- therapy, etc.

@monica123 I am in the same boat, fraternal twins, 34weeks but had an emergency c-section for absent end diastolic flow and SIUGR for twinB. Twin A was born 5 lbs but Twin B was born only 2 lbs 6 ounces. Surprisingly Twin B is on room air and feeding from a bottle while her brother is the one who has RDS and using a cpap machine. I’d love to hear other stories as well.

@formertweaker It’s the little one that was stressed in utero that always does way better on the outside. Boys typically have a harder time as well. He’ll catch up though, 34 weeks is great in terms of positive outcomes.

@monica123 They were born on Nov. 7th, she’s been on room air ever since. It’s so hard seeing them in there, but i was told by the NICU nurses to prioritize healing from the c section, especially since yours was traumatic. I didn’t go in today, instead i rested, had plenty of food and fluids, am pumping every three hours and will be rejuvenated and ready for tomorrow. Wishing you the best ❤️

@monica123 My 36 weeker was in NICU for 8 days for breathing, blood sugar and feeding tube. Not twins, just one. Taking each day as it comes was all I could do. I focused on skin to skin and finding time to rest from C-section (went to NICU for 8 to 11 hrs each day).

@monica123 My 36 weeker was born exactly 3 weeks ago at 4lbs 4oz. She did well in NICU (just needed some help with feeding) and after a couple days they had us doing a car seat check in preparation to send her home. Unfortunately she regressed with feeding the day we thought we’d be discharged, and she’s been in NCPN since then to work on feeding and growing. It’s been a rollercoaster for sure, but it’s helped us to know that we have the worlds best babysitters helping our girl to be ready to come home.

I was told with 36 weekers it’s so hard to predict if they will go home fast, or need a few weeks to “catch up” so to speak. The waiting has been the hardest for me, but I feel better being able to visit anytime I want, doing skin to skin, having access to lactation support, and the general advice I get from the nurses has been a silver lining for me. Hang in there. It’s hard and it will test your patience but I’m sure your babies will do just fine. A couple years from now, this will seem like a small blip in time compared to all the time you’ll get with them im sure 🤍

@monica123 I have a 34 weeker who was in the NICU for five weeks. He’s been at home for three weeks now. This experience is tough and traumatic no matter the circumstances. So please first and foremost, take care of yourself. You don’t have to see them every day. It’s ok and encouraged that you take time for you. Seek therapy if you can—it’s really helpful.
When you do visit ask the doctors and nurses all the questions you have. Try to be present for rounds if you can. Talk, sing, or read to your babies and try to be as hands on as allowed . I bonded with my son by doing skin to skin, changing his diapers, taking his temperature and reading to him. Just take it a day at a time. Celebrate the small victories and the big ones.

@monica123 I am almost in the exact same situation. My baby boy is 4 days old, born at exactly 36 weeks earlier this week, 4lbs 11oz. Transferred to a NICU for breathing (lungs thankfully cleared up yesterday) and a feeding tube. My first time seeing him was yesterday. I live overseas in Japan so their visitation is a lot more strict and we can only see him twice a week, which is okay for now as I'm getting discharged after recovery 4 days from now. How are your babies doing now? I hope they're doing better.

@lex69 My babies are out and home! It only took a couple weeks. The longest part was them being able to bottle feed on their own. It can get tedious. But I promise you it will go fast! I’m so sorry you can’t visit them as often :(
Just know they are in the best hands and all they need is a little assistance right now! Plus my husband and I think of it as a bonus month of having them. Most people have their babies at 40 weeks, we got an extra free month with them being born at 36 weeks😆💕

@monica123 I love that, bonus month🥹 I think about that everyday and how he’s in the best place he can be getting all the assistance he needs to become stronger to come home. So happy your babies are out🖤🖤🖤

Back